Swissmedic's area of responsibility is in various areas closely related to the areas of competence of other authorities or enforcement entities. As the enforcement entity regarding legislation on therapeutic products, Swissmedic is responsible for ensuring safety in medicines, and in particular regarding authorisations, market surveillance and issuing permits in the sector of medicinal products and medical devices.
Certain products are within the limit of two product categories and their classification is always a case-by-case approach. They must be considered in their entirety (consideration of the intended use and composition).
Corresponding questions on delimitation are dealt with in the areas of both human and veterinary health and concern clarification of competence in the following areas:
- medicines and medical devices (competence Swissmedic,
- foodstuffs, consumer items and cosmetics (competence Federal Food Safety and Veterinary Office – FSVO or cantonal chemists,
www.blv.admin.ch bzw. www.kantonschemiker.ch)
- biocides (competence Federal Office of Public Health – FOPH,
- chemicals (competence Federal Office for Public Health – FOPH or cantonal chemists,
www.bag.admin.ch or www.kantonschemiker.ch)
- animal foodstuffs and means of production (competence Federal Office for Agriculture – FOAG,