As of 1 January 2019, anyone who produces, sells or distributes medicinal products is required by law to report to Swissmedic any suspicion of illegal trading in such products. An information sheet and a special form have been created to assist the reporting procedure with specific information and practical advice.
A new version of the Information sheet on notification of suspected illegal trading in medicinal products has been available since 1 September 2022.
Examples from the new content:
The revised information sheet
- clarifies the criteria for cases to be notified in connection with mandatory notification when there is a suspicion of illegal trading in medicinal products
- supplements the legal basis as specified in Annex 4 of the Medicinal Products Licensing Ordinance (MPLO; SR 812.212.1)
- mentions the special case of returns from the pharmacy
- specifies exemptions to mandatory notification for falsified or illegally traded medicinal products manufactured for foreign markets
- gives further details regarding notifications of theft/loss