Schengen area

Schengen Agreement - travelling with medicinal products containing controlled substances
New regulations for entering Schengen countries came into force on 12 December 2008. Those travelling to Schengen countries with medicinal products containing controlled substances are recommended to obtain from their doctor an official certificate for transporting these medicines. This certificate is authenticated by the entity dispensing the medicinal products (pharmacy or dispensing doctor).

To find out whether a medicinal product is subject to international control, please consult your physician or pharmacist. The list of internationally controlled substances and preparations (medicinal products) can also be downloaded from: Lists (List of all narcotic substances/List of all registrated preparations in Switzerland containing narcotic substances)

When travelling abroad you may only transport the quantity of medicinal products containing controlled substances required for a maximum of 30 days' treatment. For trips lasting longer than this, the patient should obtain a prescription for the necessary medicinal products from a doctor in the destination country and have it filled locally.


Should you have any questions please send them in writing to:

Print contact